Funded PhD Vacancy on Marine Debris
The Department of Engineering at the University of Nicosia, Cyprus’ largest private co-educational institution, welcomes applications for a fully funded PhD fellowship in Electrical Engineering. Housed at the Research and Technology Building in Nicosia, the Department of Engineering with educational programmes in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Oil, Gas and Energy Engineering aspires to become a leading engineering centre for collaborative research and engineering education.
The scholarship covers the full tuition fees for the duration of three (3) years. In addition, it provides a partial stipend towards subsistence and an allowance for research missions. The research project, which is funded by the Universitas Foundation and the University of Nicosia, will focus on marine debris seeking ways to geographically map and understand plastic and other debris in the Mediterranean Sea. The research programme in expected to commence in Sept. 2017.
The successful candidate need hold a Master’s degree from an accredited academic institution in one of the following fields: Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or a related area. Preferred attributes of the candidate’s profile comprise:
- A first class honours or good upper second class degree, or a GPA of at least 3.33/4.0
- Good computer programming skills, e.g., Matlab, C++, or other
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Previous experience with image processing, sensor networks or intelligent systems will be considered a major advantage
All interested applicants need submit the following documents:
- A full CV including copies of academic transcript of undergrad and graduate grades
- Two recommendation letters
- Proof of proficiency in English
- A short description of their research interests and professional goals
Electronic applications may be submitted to http://bit.ly/2gfgAch. For more info, you may contact Dr Constantinos Hadjistassou, Assistant Professor, Programme in Oil and Gas (Energy) Engineering at Hadjistassou.c ‘at’ unic.ac.cy